Saturday, January 12, 2013

beginner's guide to losing weight: making good choices at the office

beginner's guide to losing weight: cardio equipment at the gym here
beginner's guide to losing weight: food journals here

The sedentary life of working at an office makes losing/maintaining weight a challenge.  Not only are you sitting and not burning extra calories all day, but the ease of getting unhealthy fast food and high calorie snacks can counteract your efforts during the rest of the day.

I have worked at only a couple office in my short time in the working world, but have some tips that work well for me.

1. Plan your food each day. Each time I pack my lunch, I plan out what each specific item is for- morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, etc.  It's easy to count calories (if that's your thing) and know exactly what I'm eating when it's planned out before I even get to the office.

2. Bring your own lunch and snacks.  Many of my coworkers order in food every day.  Not only is this terribly expensive, but it takes away so much control of what is in your food! While it is possible to order healthy choices in fast casual food, more than likely the portions are too large and the food is saturated in oil and salt.  If you're bored with the food that you bring, get some food that you reserve just for lunches.  String cheese, granola bars, hummus, greek yogurt, etc.

3. Just say NO to peer pressure! My office always smells soo good when the delivery man shows up with takeout.  It can be tempting to join in with the order or take their offer to eat that last slice of pizza, but strengthening your will power will be better in the end.  Sometimes it can be awkward when everyone saying "Are you sure you don't want any?". Actually saying the words out loud, "No thanks, I brought my own lunch today." or "Thanks, but I'm actually really full right now" makes you believe yourself even more. Try it!

Other places I have worked have had candy bowls everywhere, which I find to be little death traps.  I ended up telling myself I could have one or two of my favorites some days, and really enjoying that one or two pieces. Other days I didn't let myself start at all.  With that said...

4. Make indulgences wisely. It's no fun to never have any treats.  But rather than go gung-ho and order the heaviest thing on the menu, look up the nutrition information beforehand.  I had an internship one summer that catered lunch every Tuesday.  By always looking up the nutrition info before placing my order, I was able to look forward to my Tuesday lunch without feeling like I would spoil my day.  If options are more limited and there are only somewhat healthy options, see if you can request substitutions- grilled with no oil, hold the sauce, or dressing on the side. 

5. Budget in your workout time. Maybe for you it's hard to make yourself go to the gym at the end of the day when all you want to do is have some down time. Get in the habit of going before work to get a jump on the rest of your day.  Don't have time before or after? Go for a brisk walk on your lunch break. I use this as a time to catch up with my mom while I walk and get myself moving a little during my otherwise sedentary day.

Stay tuned for the next installment, Cooking & Baking Tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment