Thursday, February 7, 2013

the previously undiscovered wonderful world of cabbage

So there's this awesome inexpensive grocery store near us, Aldi. It's very... minimalistic. To cut expenses, they don't have bags- you have to bring your own or use extra boxes they have. You put in a quarter to get you cart, and you get it back when you put the cart back in the corral, so they don't hire people to collect the carts or have to pay to replace as many stolen carts. They don't do fancy displays or carry most name brands. They also don't accept coupons, but their regular and sale prices are so good it's still less money for some items than couponing at other stores.

A few weeks ago I was going for my usual produce run: celery for 79 cents, carrots for 69 cents, caulifower for a dollar, avodacos for 69 cents, etc. (Did I say how much I love Aldi?)

Not sure how I mixed this up, but I accidentally grabbed a head of cauliflower and a head of green cabbage instead of two heads of cauliflower. What was I going to do with cabbage? Cole slaw? Cabbage was something I'd always passed by in the produce aisle.

image from here
So, of course, I turned to Google. Barfoot Contessa is pretty legit, so I decided I'd follow this recipe. Dice finely (like you if you were making cole slaw), throw in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Seems easy enough....

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME HOW AMAZING CABBAGE IS. Seriously guys, it's now one of the have-to-have-in-the-fridge-at-all-times veggies. Raw, sauted, whatever. Hm, I've only got carrots and broccoli for my salad... put some cabbage in it! I'm making soup and looking for stuff to throw in.... put some cabbage in it! Quinoa stir fry? Put some cabbage in it! I feel like I've been deceived, going all this time not knowing there is a staple veggie I've been missing.

This also makes me think- what other produce items am I living without? Please let me in on your secrets and give me some more that I can incorporate into my repetoire.



No comments:

Post a Comment