Friday, January 28, 2011

mashed cauliflower

A wise man once told me not to eat carbs after 3pm.  I took this to mean to limit carbs after 5pm.

Considering this wise man is a doctor of nutrition/body builder/personal trainer, I think he has some little nuggets of wisdom.

So, what does one eat for dinner? No more lasagna, paninis, pasta, burritos... and mashed potatoes. One of my favorite things.

Behold, mashed cauliflower!

photo from here
 - Cut up 1 head of cauliflower in chunks and boil. For a while. They need to be pretty soft to get the right consistency.
- Drain water and mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in 1 ish tablespoon butter, a couple splashes of milk, a few shakes of garlic salt, and if you'd like, a few shakes of instant potato flakes. They make it a better consistency and help if you put in too much milk.

Admittedly, not the exact same as the delicious starchy carb that is the potato, but pretty dang close.  The first time I made them, I didn't let them get soft enough and the consistency wasn't great. I also over-seasoned them.... a common mistake in my cooking. The next time they were mucho better. Even Husband liked them!

No comments:

Post a Comment